Tax deduction on tuition fees paid for children’s’ education.
CONDITIONS TO AVAIL DEDUCTION
- Deduction is available only to individuals.
- Each parent is allowed to claim tuition fees paid for 2 children. For example, if a couple has 3 children, one parent can claim the fees paid for 2 children and the other parent can claim the fees paid for the third child.
- Aggregate amount of deduction available, including all other investments under section 80C is restricted to ₹1.5 lakhs.
- The fees should be paid to a University, School or College in India. Fees paid towards private tuition is not allowed.
- The amount should be clearly marked under the category ‘Tuition Fees’. Amounts paid under the same receipt for purposes such as donations, building funds, etc., are not permitted.
- Deduction is allowed on payment basis.